How Do You Shampoo and Conditioner Your Hair?
You’ll be surprised to learn that the most people wash their hair incorrectly.
Do you find yourself using more conditioner than shampoo? Are you using your fingernails to rub it in? Is your hair left dry or lifeless after a wash? We see these common mistakes constantly, and want to give you a complimentary guide about:
How to Correctly Shampoo & Condition Your Hair:
- Focus most of the product on the scalp only. Shampoo is meant to clean your scalp of dirt, natural oil and product build up.
- For most hair types, the majority of this oil/product buildup never makes it past 2-3 inches from the scalp. Therefore, shampooing your mid-lengths and ends is a waste of product and will only dehydrate your hair.
- Be sure to soak the hair for at least 30 seconds in warm (not piping hot!) water before adding shampoo. Gentleness at the root is important as well, use your fingertips to rub in the product rather than nails.
- Now to conditioner… Yes, everyone (we repeat, EVERYONE) needs to condition their hair.
- Shampoo itself gives our hair a natural thirst for conditioner. Every time it’s used to cleanse your scalp, the cuticle of the hair is lifted as a result. To maintain healthy, strong hair, you must close and smooth the cuticle back down with… guess what? Conditioner.
- Now that we have you convinced of conditioner’s necessity, make sure you are using it correctly. Don’t plop a big glob of it right on top of your head. Instead, massage a quarter-sized into your palms and begin working it through your hair starting at your mid-lengths, proceeding downward through each layer until you reach the ends of the hair.
- End with a rinse of cold water to close cuticles and give hair extra health and shine.
- To dry your locks, avoid squeezing the hair. Heat is okay to use after blotting most of the water from the hair and after applying a leave-in product/heat protectant.
If you are following all these rules correctly, and are still displeased with your home shampoo & conditioner results, please give us a call. We’re here to help you as a valued member of our Oscar Giovanni Salon & Spa family.